Business Aviation Flight Operation In India International Airports
28 September 2023| By Just Aviation Team
Embark on a journey of seamless aviation experiences with Just Aviation’s comprehensive flight support services at India International Airports. From meticulous flight planning and efficient fuel solutions to swift permits and reliable ground support, we offer a complete package for your aviation needs.
India’s vast and diverse geography presents ample opportunities for business aircraft operations. Spanning from north to south and east to west, India’s aviation landscape boasts a range of airports equipped to cater to corporate aviation needs. When strategizing flights within India, it’s essential to take into account the following pivotal airports, each distinguished by a unique array of advantages and services:
- Indira Gandhi International Airport (IATA: DEL, ICAO: VIDP)
- Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj International Airport (IATA: BOM, ICAO: VABB)
- Kempegowda International Airport (IATA: BLR, ICAO: VOBL)
- Chennai International Airport (IATA: MAA, ICAO: VOMM)
- Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose International Airport (IATA: CCU, ICAO: VECC)
Indira Gandhi International Airport (IATA: DEL, ICAO: VIDP)
Indira Gandhi International Airport, situated in New Delhi, India, is a key aviation hub known for its comprehensive infrastructure and services tailored to both commercial and business aviation. Indira Gandhi International Airport boasts a total of three runways:
- Runway 11/29: Measuring approximately 2,813 meters in length (9,232 feet).
- Runway 10/28: Extending approximately 3,810 meters in length (12,500 feet).
- Runway 09/27: With a length of around 4,430 meters (14,534 feet), this runway is the longest and most suitable for accommodating larger business jets and wide-body aircraft.
The airport comprises three primary passenger terminals:
- Terminal 1: Dedicated to domestic operations.
- Terminal 2: Also used for domestic flights.
- Terminal 3: Primarily for international operations, renowned for its modern design, extensive facilities, and services.
For business aviation needs, Indira Gandhi International Airport provides several Fixed Base Operators (FBOs). These FBOs offer a range of services, including aircraft handling, ground support, fueling, and passenger services.
Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj International Airport (IATA: BOM, ICAO: VABB)
Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj International Airport, located in Mumbai, Maharashtra, India, is one of the busiest and most prominent airports in the country, serving as a vital gateway for both commercial and business aviation. Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj International Airport operates with two main runways:
- Runway 09/27: Measuring approximately 3,660 meters (12,008 feet) in length.
- Runway 14/32: Extending approximately 3,445 meters (11,302 feet) in length.
The airport features two major passenger terminals:
- Terminal 1: Previously used for domestic operations.
- Terminal 2: The primary terminal handling both domestic and international flights, renowned for its modern infrastructure, extensive facilities, and efficient services.
Airport activity in India is experiencing a notable upturn due to the substantial expansion of both scheduled commercial and low-cost carrier services. General Aviation (GA) operators should be vigilant regarding peak periods of commercial traffic and potential parking constraints.
Requirements for Business Aviation Flight Operation In India
India International Flight Operations require meticulous attention to detail and adherence to specific regulations. Whether it’s a passenger or cargo flight, scheduled or non-scheduled, here are the key factors to consider.
Application Requirements for India Overflight Permit
To obtain an India Overflight Permit, certain essential details must be submitted:
- Complete Flight Schedule
- All Passenger Details
- Total Onboard Crew with Names and Nationalities or Crew Gendec
- Entry/Exit & ATS Routing
- Consignee and Consignor Details (For Cargo Flights)
- Aircraft Documents:
- Air Operator Certificate (AOC) (Private Aircraft AOC Not Required)
- Certificate of Airworthiness (COA)
- Certificate of Insurance (COI)
- Certificate of Noise Compliance (CON)
- Certificate of Registration (COR)
Special Considerations for Specific Countries
India imposes specific lead times for overflight and landing permits for flights originating from or destined to certain countries, including China, Iran, Iraq, Nigeria, North Korea, Pakistan, Somalia, and Sudan. For other countries, normal lead times apply.
Procedures for Business Aviation Flight Operation In India
In India, if a flight intends to operate earlier than the approved schedule, it’s essential to reconfirm the permit with the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA). Otherwise, the overflight permit remains valid for 48 hours from the approved schedule.
- The India Overflight Permit is issued by the Directorate General of Civil Aviation Indian and carries the number YA/N/1205/12/290825.
- Notably, there are no CAA processing fees for the issuance of an India Overflight Permit.
- India’s airspace is divided into four Flight Information Regions (FIR).
- The India Civil Aviation Authority sends air navigation bills directly to the Airline/Operator through “IATA.”
- The working hours of the India Civil Aviation Authority are from 0430Z to 1200Z.
Procedures for Business Aviation Flight
When operating in India, particularly at larger Airports of Entry (AOEs), several critical factors come into play.
Navigating Airport Slot Requests and PPR Procedures
At major airports worldwide, securing airport slots and obtaining Prior Permission Required (PPR) can be a complex process. Typically, these slots are requested via email from the designated airport slot coordinator. However, it’s important to understand that obtaining preferred slot times can be exceptionally challenging at certain airports, including Mumbai’s Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport (VABB). The flexibility to deviate from assigned slots varies significantly from one airport to another, making it crucial for operators to stay informed about each airport’s specific procedures and constraints.
Challenges of Business Aviation Flight Operation In India
Securing parking space for General Aviation (GA) aircraft in various Indian airports presents formidable challenges due to limited availability and high commercial aircraft traffic. These challenges are a pivotal consideration when planning trips to India, as parking a corporate aircraft can entail additional costs.
Of notable concern are the stringent regulations at Mumbai airports, which govern GA aircraft parking. For flights with purely international legs (International Arrival – Departure), a maximum parking duration of 72 hours is permitted. However, in cases involving a leg with a domestic sector, the allowable parking time is reduced to 48 hours. Exceeding these stipulated time limits can result in the imposition of substantial penalties on the operator. Skillfully managing these parking constraints constitutes a crucial element of successful GA operations in India.
Ground Handling in India International Airports
When planning international flights in India, meticulous attention to ground handling details is crucial for a successful operation.
Maintenance Services in Indian Airports
When operating at Indian airports, securing maintenance services tailored to your aircraft is crucial. Major hubs like Indira Gandhi International Airport (VIDP) and Mumbai’s Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport (VABB) house established Maintenance, Repair, and Overhaul (MRO) facilities. Coordinate with relevant MROs well in advance to schedule maintenance, repairs, or inspections that align with your flight schedule, ensuring smooth operations. Explore MRO options at other Indian airports to optimize aircraft maintenance efficiency.
Fuel Availability at Indian Airports
In India, it’s crucial to identify the specific fuel type and quantity required for your aircraft, which typically includes Jet A-1 for jet engines and Avgas for piston-engine aircraft. You can reach out to multiple fuel providers at the chosen Indian airport to confirm not only fuel availability but also pricing and additional services like fuel quality checks and assistance with the fueling process.
Contact us today to elevate your trip planning in India, guaranteeing a hassle-free experience at India International Airports. Rely on Just Aviation for top-tier services at competitive rates, ensuring your aviation ventures in India are nothing short of exceptional.